Skip to main content

Contact APRA

APRA’s role is to supervise authorised deposit-taking institutions (ADIs), such as banks, building societies and credit unions, as well as insurance companies, including private health insurers, and superannuation funds, to promote the careful, or prudent, management of these financial institutions. In doing so, APRA is charged with ensuring these institutions can fulfil the promises they make to ADI deposit-holders, insurance policyholders and superannuation beneficiaries.

Before contacting APRA, please check if our list of commonly asked questions can assist with your enquiry.

Commonly asked questions


I have a question or complaint about a bank, insurer or superannuation fund

APRA is an independent statutory authority that supervises institutions across the banking, insurance and superannuation industries (other than self-managed funds) to promote the careful or prudent management of these institutions. As the prudential regulator, APRA is concerned with maintaining the safety and soundness of the institutions it regulates to ensure that they can fulfil the financial promises they make to depositors, policyholders and superannuation beneficiaries. It does not deal with individual complaints about products and services of these institutions unless the complaint relates to the safety and stability of the institution.

If you wish to raise a complaint about a product or service, this should first be directed in writing to the financial institution. In the case of superannuation entities, you may also lodge a formal complaint with your fund’s trustee. Superannuation trustees are required to have an internal dispute resolution process and to respond to complaints within 90 days.

If an issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority, or AFCA. AFCA provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to consumers.  AFCA’s details are set out below:

I have a question or complaint about a different type of financial institution, such as a financial planner, investment broker, fund or other intermediary

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) is responsible for regulating markets, financial services and consumer credit activities. For questions about Australian financial services (AFS) licence holders you should contact ASIC.  ​​​

You can contact ASIC online or by phone on 1300 300 630.

I have a question about the Financial Claims Scheme (FCS), which is the Australian Government guarantee on bank deposits

For extensive information on the FCS, see About the Financial Claims Scheme on the APRA website.

I have a question about the regulation of self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs)

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is responsible for the regulation of self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs).

The ATO contact details are 13 28 61 or at

I want to know how to use a restricted word or expression such as the word ‘bank’ in a company name, business name, trade mark or service mark

To use a restricted word or expression in a company name, business name, trade mark or service mark you must apply to APRA.

A guide on Restricted Words under the Banking Act 1959 is provided on our website here. An APRA Explains article on the process of applying to use a restricted word is available on our website here

In support of an application to use the word ‘bank’ and other restricted words, please provide the following:

  • the proposed use of the restricted word/s
  • the nature of the business, the types of transactions and your target customers;
  • when you intend to start the business;
  • the street address of the business; and
  • whether you are required to have an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) or a Australian Credit License (ACL). If not, have you obtained confirmation from the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) that an AFSL or ACL is not required?

Please email this information to:

I have a question about APRA's statistical publications

If you have a question about one of APRA's statistical publications, please email


Enquiries form

To access the enquiries form please first complete and submit your details below. If you are from an APRA-regulated institution please contact your responsible APRA supervisor. 

Do you wish to contact the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority? (required)
Why are you contacting APRA?
Contact details


General enquiries 

Our call centre is open Monday to Friday from 9.00am - 5.00pm AEST/AEDT except for public holidays.

In Australia (free call): 1300 558 849  
Outside of Australia: +61 2 8037 9015

Are you deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment? Contact the National Relay Service on 1800 555 660 or visit their website

For translating or interpreting services call 131 450 and ask they contact APRA on 1300 558 849.

For information about contacting APRA in languages other than English, including Chinese, Spanish, Greek, Japanese, Indonesian, Italian, Korean and Vietnamese. 

Write to APRA

Australian Prudential Regulation Authority  
GPO Box 9836   

Report something to APRA



Make a request



Connect with APRA on social media

You can follow us on LinkedIn for updates on APRA and the work that we do.

Subscribe for updates about APRA

You can subscribe to receive email updates for changes to the APRA website.