Skip to main content

Questions about banks, building societies and credit unions - authorised deposit-taking institutions

How do I make a complaint about my bank, building society or credit union?

Individual complaints about financial products and services, unless they are of a prudential concern, should be directed in writing to the institution. If you are unsatisfied with the response you receive, you may be able to lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). This is a free and independent dispute resolution service. You can contact AFCA on 1800 931 678 or online at

Read more about being a whistleblower or making a public interest disclosure.

Where can I find out if my deposit is covered by the Government’s guarantee?

The Australian Government's Financial Claims Scheme (FCS) protects people's deposits in the unlikely event that a bank, building society or credit union fails. It only covers banking institutions that are incorporated in Australia, and has been known as the Australian Government deposit guarantee.

To find out if your deposits are covered read more about the Financial Claims Scheme

How can I apply to use the word ‘bank’ in my business name?

Under section 66 of the Banking Act 1959, consent is required from APRA to use restricted words and expressions such as the word ‘bank’.

To use a restricted word or expression in a company name, business name, trade mark or service mark must apply for consent to APRA.

In support of an application to use the word ‘bank’ and other restricted words, please provide the following:

  • the nature of the business, the types of transactions and your target customers;
  • when you intend to start the business;
  • the street address of the business; and
  • state whether you are required to have an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL). If not, have you obtained confirmation from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission that an AFSL is not required?

Please email this information to: