Skip to main content

Register a superannuation entity

Who needs to register a superannuation entity?

Under the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 (the Act), superannuation entities that must be registered by APRA as registerable superannuation entities (RSEs) include:

  • APRA-regulated superannuation funds;
  • small APRA funds;
  • approved deposit funds; and
  • pooled superannuation trusts.

RSEs do not include exempt public sector superannuation schemes or self-managed superannuation funds regulated by the Australian Taxation Office.

Only an RSE licensee can apply to register a superannuation entity as a RSE. If you wish to apply for an RSE licence you should visit the licensing section of the APRA website.

Application guidelines

For more information on registering an RSE, see the RSE registration instruction guide. The guidelines outline APRA’s registration process for RSEs, including the minimum criteria to be addressed by applicants and the necessary information required to be lodged with an application.

Before you lodge your application to register an RSE, ensure you have read and are familiar with the prudential framework for superannuation, including relevant legislation, prudential standards and prudential practice guides.

Application form

The approved form should be completed and lodged with APRA with the required supporting information.

More information 

For more information on superannuation registration please contact APRA on 1300 55 88 49 or email