Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Questions about superannuation funds

What can I do if I have a complaint about my superannuation fund?

Complaints about your superannuation fund, unless they are of a prudential concern, should be directed to the trustee of the fund.

Trustees are required to have an internal dispute resolution process and should respond to complaints within 90 days.

If you are unsatisfied with the trustee’s response, you may be able to raise your complaint with the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal (SCT). The SCT is an independent dispute resolution body which deals with a diverse range of superannuation-related complaints.

How do I find my lost superannuation?

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) may be able to help you locate your lost superannuation.

Superannuation funds are required under tax law to list lost members on the ATO’s Lost Members Register.

Who regulates self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs)?

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is responsible for regulating self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs).

How do I check whether a superannuation fund is a complying fund?

APRA-regulated superannuation funds are available on the website: List of trustees

Self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs) are listed on the Australian Government’s ‘Super Fund Lookup’ site.

How can I transfer my superannuation to a new super fund?

A request to transfer your superannuation benefits must be directed to your fund in writing. The fund is required to transfer your superannuation benefits within three business days.

You will need to discuss these details with the trustee of your superannuation fund. Forms and further information are on the ATO website

Does APRA have a list of super funds that accept KiwiSaver transfers?

No, APRA does not have a list of superannuation funds that accept KiwiSaver transfers.

Discuss details relating to KiwiSaver transfers (under the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme) with the trustee of your superannuation fund.

How can I access my superannuation early?

APRA does not administer the early release of superannuation benefits.

The Department of Human Services (DHS) is responsible for the administration of the early release of superannuation benefits on compassionate grounds.

Your superannuation fund and Centrelink can provide information on accessing superannuation on the grounds of severe financial hardship.

How can I find out what fees my super fund charges?

Fees charged vary between superannuation funds according to their own fee structure and governing rules.

Contact the trustee of your superannuation fund if you have concerns regarding the fees applied to your benefit. You can also find further information on superannuation fees at

The ATO determines tax on superannuation.

What are the rules concerning death benefit payments from superannuation?

APRA is not involved in disputes related to death benefit payments.

Superannuation trustees generally have the responsibility, in accordance with their trust deed, to determine who receives the benefits of life insurance policies in the case of the death of a covered member.

If you require further guidance on your individual circumstances you may wish to seek professional advice.