is to be a world class integrated prudential supervisor recognised for its leadership, professionalism and innovation.
To establish and enforce prudential standards and practices designed to ensure that, under all reasonable circumstances, financial promises made by institutions we supervise are met within a stable, efficient and competitive financial system.
We also act as the national statistical agency for the Australian financial sector and play a role in preserving the integrity of Australia’s retirement incomes policy.
We play a critical role in protecting the financial well-being of the Australian community: as a result, high standards are required in everything we do. In our work and in our interactions with others, we value and seek to demonstrate:
- We stand behind the statements and commitments we make.
- We are balanced and fair in the use of our authority and powers.
- We make decisions and perform our duties without personal bias.
- We take seriously our obligation to protect the confidentiality of information provided to us.
- We respect and value the views of others, both internal and external to APRA.
- We regularly seek the assistance and advice of others in APRA in our day-to-day work.
- We work and co-operate with our colleagues, and assist them to reach sound decisions and positive outcomes
- We take pride in the quality of our work.
- We base our decisions on thorough and careful analysis.
- Once decisions are made, we act in a manner that respects those decisions and achieves the desired outcomes.
- We achieve timely and practical results, ensuring the benefits of regulating financial activity outweigh the costs and constraints we impose.
- Our analysis of issues is forward-looking.
- Using all of the information available to us, we identify potential problems and actively pursue remedial action when necessary.
- We stay at the forefront of developments that affect our role by continually learning new skills and enhancing our knowledge.
- We take responsibility for our decisions and the results of our actions.
- We never defer difficult decisions and actions, once a well-founded basis for these is identified.
- We hold ourselves to at least the same standards that we expect of regulated entities.
- We welcome independent scrutiny, and respond promptly to aspects of our performance that are identified as needing improvement.
Working and acting in these ways helps us achieve the high standards necessary for us to protect the financial well-being of the Australian community.